On June 25, 2023, officers with Patrol Services charged 59-year-old Mark Vekich with disarming a peace officer and multiple weapon offences.
Around 4:00 a.m., officers attended a call for service in the 300 block of Seventh Avenue. Upon arrival, a witness informed officers they had observed guns in the accused’s home. Further investigation found 40 BB guns and two firearms. During the investigation, the accused attempted to disarm an officer of their conductive energy weapon but was not successful.
The accused was arrested and charged with:
- Disarming a Peace Officer
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose x2
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm x2
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing it’s Possession is Unauthorized x2
- Careless Storage of a Firearm x2
- Careless Storage of Ammunition x2
- Possession Contrary to Order x4
The accused was released on an undertaking and is scheduled to appear in court on August 21, 2023.