Sault Ste. Marie now has a permanent shelter for homeless men, featuring a total of 44 beds to help those in need. The former Sacred Heart school site on Wellington Street East has officially opened Monday with a ribbon cutting ceremony.
Mayor Matthew Shoemaker ,who was one of many cutting ribbon, said the new shelter was a long time in coming. “Working for the betterment of our community is a responsibility we all share,” Shoemaker said
The new Community resource centre includes a doctor’s office, treatment facilities , counselling and social services.
The former school, that has sat empty for a number of years was transformed into the new resource centre over the last year with help of $4.4 million funding from the Ontario government. An additional $623,000 from the Ontario Priorities Housing Initiative.
The centre was designed to help homeless males in the community to seek out support and help stabilize their life to become an active member of the community.
Both MPP Ross Romano and Sault Ste. Marie city councillor, Luke Dufour who is also the Social Services board chair were on hand for the official opening. Romano remarked , “the city has been challenged in the last few years” Romano hopes the centre will spur growth and the development of partnerships to help those that are struggling.
photos :Mayor Shoemaker / Facebook