With Fire Prevention Week just around the corner, Sault Fire Services is urging everyone in Sault Ste. Marie to take some simple steps to prevent kitchen fires in their home. This year’s theme of Fire Prevention Week, which runs from October 8th-14th, is “Cooking safety starts with YOU. Pay attention to fire prevention.”
The theme is very timely as cooking fires continue to be the leading cause of home fires in Ontario. It works to educate everyone about simple, yet important actions individuals can take when cooking to keep themselves and those around them safe.
Simple steps for fire safety in the kitchen include:
- Always stay in the kitchen when cooking and turn off the stove if you must leave the kitchen.
- Keep a proper fitting lid near the stove. If a pot of oil catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove. Do not move the pot. Never throw water on a burning pot.
- Keep anything that burns – plastic utensils, dishcloths, paper towels – a safe distance from the stove.
- Cook responsibly. To prevent cooking fires, you must be alert. You will not be alert if you have consumed alcohol or drugs.
- Wear tight-fitting or rolled up sleeves when using the stove. Dangling clothing can easily catch fire.
- Keep young kids at least 3 feet away from the stove. Turn pot handles away from the stove’s edge so they can’t be easily knocked off.
- If you burn yourself while cooking, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes. If the burn is severe, seek medical attention.
“Often when we’re called to a fire that started in the kitchen, the residents tell us they only left the kitchen for a few minutes, but that’s all it takes for a dangerous fire to start. Help keep our community safe by preventing fires from starting in the first place.” said, Public Education Officer Aaron Gravelle
Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services is opening their doors this year for Fire Prevention Week.There will be two separate Open House events. The first Open House is located at Fire Hall #2 (363 Second Line W.) scheduled for Saturday, October 7, 2023, from 11am until 2pm. The second Open House is located at Fire hall #3 (100 Bennet Blvd.) scheduled for Saturday, October 14, 2023, from 11am until 2pm. There will be a chance to speak with Fire Services staff members, accompanied by giveaways, fire extinguisher training, equipment demonstrations and an M & M’s BBQ.