The Sault Ste. Marie Police Service recognizes July as Speeding Awareness Month.
Speeding is a contributing factor in one out of every four fatal crashes in Canada. Driving just 10 km/h over the speed limit more than doubles your risk of crashing. Moreover, the faster a vehicle is going, the lower the odds of survival are for the drivers or pedestrians involved in a crash.
Traffic Sergeant Ray Magnan says, “In the summer months, there tends to be a higher volume of road, pedestrian, and even wildlife traffic on our roadways. Folks are on holiday, students are on summer vacation, and community members are bound to be out and about enjoying the nice weather. Its critical drivers remain vigilant, obey posted speed limits, and keep a close eye out for pedestrians, cyclists, and kids playing outside. Slowing down gives drivers a much better chance of reacting and braking in time to avoid collisions.”
Why is speeding so dangerous? Speeding…
- Increases braking and stopping distances
- Reduces your field of vision
- Makes it harder to react quickly to changing road conditions
- Makes the impact of a crash more severe and increases the chance of serious injury or death
The best way to avoid speeding is to plan ahead. Here are some tips for prioritizing safety over speed:
- Give yourself more time:
- Get in the habit of checking how long it will take to get to your destination and leave earlier than you think you need to.
- If you’re late, accept it:
- Sometimes being late is inevitable, and in these instances simply acknowledging, or better yet telling the person you are meeting, you will be late can relieve the pressure you feel to get there on time.
- Identify your speeding triggers:
- Factors like stress, anger, fatigue, or peer pressure can cause you to drive too fast. Identify and address these emotions before getting behind the wheel.
- Choose your soundtrack:
- Fast, loud, or intense music might make you drive faster. Choose something more mellow, like relaxing music or a podcast.
- Use cruise control when appropriate:
- While not recommended for city roads or rainy weather, cruise control can prevent you from speeding on the highway.
- Learn the risks:
- Follow @SaultPolice on social media to learn about the risks of speeding throughout the month of July.