Significant Damage To Home

fire fighter smoke

On Monday, January 15th, 2024, Sault Ste. Marie Fire Service crews responded to a call of a fire in a residential dwelling in the central area of the city.

Shortly after 4:00 p.m., crews responded to a fire in a residential dwelling in the 0-100 block of Pawating Place. Crews were able to contain and extinguish the fire.

The cause of the fire was electrical in nature. The fire is not considered suspicious. Further investigation revealed the cause of the fire resulted from overloaded extension cords in close proximity to combustible materials.

Sault Fire Services would like to remind all citizens to only use extension cords for their intended use, do not overload extension cords or power bars, along with routinely checking for damaged or frayed cords and replace them if necessary. Always follow manufacturer’s instructions for electrical cords and appliances.

PUC Services and Enbridge Gas attended the scene.

There is significant damage to the dwelling. There are no injuries to report.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *