Major Damage From Electrical Fire

On Monday, December 4th, 2023, Sault Ste. Marie Fire Service crews responded to a call of a fire in a residential dwelling in the west-end of the city.

Shortly after 5:00 p.m., crews responded to a fire in a single-family residential dwelling in the 400 block of Second Avenue. Crews were able to contain and extinguish the fire.

The cause of the fire was electrical in nature. The fire is not considered suspicious. Further investigation revealed the cause of the fire resulted from a damaged extension cord plugged into a portable heater.

Sault Fire Services would like to remind all citizens to only use extension cords for their intended use, do not overload extension cords or power bars, along with routinely checking for damaged or frayed cords and replace them if necessary. Always follow manufacturer’s instructions for electrical cords and appliances.

PUC Services attended the scene.

There is significant damage to the dwelling. One person was taken to hospital. There are no injuries to report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *