On Thursday, December 14th, 2023, the owner of a multi-unit residential occupancy in the municipality of Sault Ste. Marie was found guilty and sentenced to 90 days imprisonment for the following Ontario Fire Code (OFC) offences:
- Failing to maintain closures in fire separations
- Failing to ensure closures are free from obstructions
- Failing to repair a fire separation
- Failing to prepare a Fire Safety Plan for the building
- Using temporary electrical wiring where it presents a fire hazard
- Failing to properly install, operate and maintain heating, ventilating or air-conditioning systems
- Failing to conduct fire drills as required
- Failing to install required carbon monoxide alarms
- Failing to maintain fire alarm system
“Fire Prevention Officers work tirelessly with owners to gain OFC compliance through education and inspections,” stated Deputy Chief Naomi Thibault. “Ultimately, when compliance is not met through these tactics, Fire Prevention Officers must use enforcement measures. This conviction shows how penalties will continue to escalate if compliance is not met.”
Sault Fire Services did not name the owner.
SSMFS reminds building owners that compliance with the Ontario Fire Code is their responsibility. For more information, please contact Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services at [email protected] or 705-949-3333.